Homestead Resort began it’s history known as the Schneitter Hotel and is on the National Register of Historic Places. As a Historic Utah Hotel, the Homestead Resort has been creating memories for guests for over 125 years!
Below is an excerpt of the information included on the original National Register of Historic Places application. To read the complete story, please click here…
“Built c. 1886, the Schneitter Hotel is both historically and architecturally significant. Architecturally, it is the only example of the Federal style in the Midway area. Most of the houses in town are relatively modest Victorian or vernacular designs, though there are several elaborate Gothic Revival style houses as well . The house is also significant as the principal building at Schneitter’s Hot Pot Resort, predecessor of the current Homestead Resort. It served as a guest house for patrons of the resort and probably as a residence for the operators as well. Schneitter’s resort was one of the two most successful and long-lived of the several bathing resorts developed in the Midway area in the nineteenth century to take advantage of the natural hot springs, many of which are surrounded by large, conical mineral deposits, or “pots.” The Schneitter Hotel is one of the few remaining historic buildings that represent the recreational industry that was important in the early (and current) economy of the area.
Schneitter’s Hot Pot Resort was established by Simon and Maria Schneitter and their 23-year-old son Simon J. A local history claims that it was in 1886 that “a two story brick hotel and swimming pool was started.” Some facilities were probably available at that time, but the hotel and the more fully developed resort were probably not finished until the summer of 1891 when the local newspaper announced the grand opening of the resort. That the hotel was not operational until that time is further indicated by a newspaper article a few weeks earlier, which noted that “S.J. Schneitter spent a portion of last week in Salt Lake City, making the necessary purchases of furniture, etc., for the fitting out of his bathing resort and summer hotel by the big hot pot.” 5 It seems likely, then, that the Schneitters started developing the resort and constructing the hotel in 1886 but did not have it completed and fully operational until 1891. Gazetteers or business directories of the period support that conclusion, since it was not until the 1892-93 edition that Schneitter’s “Hotel and Saloon” were listed.”